A Brief Introduction to
Hangzhou University, a comprehensive university of arts, sciences, law, business and engineering, is a key institution of higher learning of Zhejiang Province. It lies within easy reach of the picturesque West Lake in Hangzhou, one of China's most famous tourist resorts.
The history of Hangzhou University can be traced back to 1897 when Qiushi Academy and Yuying Academy were founded. Qiushi Academy later developed into National Zhejiang University and Yuying Academy became the privately operated Hangzhou Christian University. In 1952, a national readjustment in institutions of higher learning was conducted. Zhejiang Teachers College was formed by combining the Arts College and part of the Science College of Zhejiang University, the Arts College and the Sciences College of Hangzhou Christian University, Zhejiang Teachers School and Zhejiang Russian School (the latter two being founded after 1949). In 1958, Zhejiang Teachers College, after being amalgamated with the newly established Hangzhou University, was turned into Hangzhou University. May 3 is the University's founding anniversary.
Hangzhou University lays great emphasis on both scientific research and the integration of teaching and research. It has 24 departments (with a total of 38 specialties) and 21 research institutes and centers.
Over 500 monographs, translations and textbooks, and more than 7,000 research papers have been published by the University since 1978. Some 448 prizes of scientific research results have been awarded to the University, of which 13 are on the national level.
In the Academic List published in 1987 and 1989 by the Research Institute of Scienciology, Chinese Academy of the Science of Management, Hangzhou University is twice listed in the top 5% among over 1,000 universities in China.
Hangzhou University considers it a crucial part of academic program development to have international exchanges and thereby welcomes collaborations with scholars and institutions abroad. In fact, the past few years have seen considerable development of academic exchanges and exchanges of friendly visits between Hangzhou University and institutions in other countries. The University has so far established cooperative relations with 37 institutions of higher learning in 18 countries, including the United States, Japan, Germany, Britain, France, Australia, Brazil and Italy. International scholars have been invited to give lectures at the University and several scholars of international fame have been engaged as honorary professors, among whom are the famous mathematicians Dr. S.S. Chern and Dr. S.T. Yan, and the famous physicist Dr. Chihyu Chien.
Hangzhou University has been listed by the State Education Commission as a comprehensive university open to foreign students. It has received a significant number of international students, and many outstanding teachers of the University have been sent to foreign universities and research institutes for advanced studies, lecturing, or attendance at various international symposia.
Hangzhou University has a teaching and administrative staff of over 2,700, among whom 1,400 are faculty members, including 107 professors, 430 associate professors, and 579 lecturers. In addition, there are some international professors working on the campus.
The University Library houses over 1,600,000 books and 10,000 titles of Chinese and foreign periodicals. Each department has its own reference room.
In 1989, ratified by the State Education Commission and the State Press Bureau, Hangzhou University Press was established. The important academic periodicals issued by the University include the Journal of Hangzhou University (philosophy and social sciences edition, and natural sciences edition), and Applied Psychology.
Hangzhou University occupies an area of over 46 hectares. Its buildings have a total floor space of 270,000 square meters. Shady trees flanking its main roads and carpets of green lawns dotted with flowers combine to make the campus all the more attractive -- an ideal place for work and study.